Pictured above are the 2019 Essay Contest Winners
Submissions for the 2020 Essay Contest is now closed. Please watch this space for the winning essays.
7th Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Sacramento Region Essay Contest
We are pleased to announce the question for the 7th annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Sacramento Region Essay contest. The essay contest was created to further engage our youth with Dr. King’s legacy, his vision, and leadership that inspired a nation.
Essays will be judged on creativity, clarity, content, coherence and adherence to theme. Essays must be in your own words. The winners will receive a prize and be recognized as part of the 2020 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration event on January 25, 2020 in the University Ballroom at Sacramento State University.
The essay contest is open to youth (Middle and High School students) who live in Sacramento, Yolo, Placer, El Dorado, and Sutter Counties.
The 2020 MLK Essay Contest Question
In 1957, Dr. King said to an audience in Montgomery, Alabama “Life’s most persistent and urgent question: What are you doing for others?“ In your essay, please tell us what you are doing for others and why you believe what you are doing is important.
Prizes will be awarded in the Middle School and High School Divisions.
1st Place Winner – $250 | 2nd Place Winner – $150 | 3rd Place Winner – $100
Download the 2020 MLK Sacramento Region Essay Contest Flyer
• Winners will be chosen from middle and high school categories.
• The essay must consist of no more than 300 words.
• The essay contest is open to Middle and high school entries and must be submitted on 8½” x 11” white paper, double spaced and typed using a 12pt. font.
• Only one entry per student.
• All entries must include student’s name, grade level, full school name, school district, home address and contact phone number on the essay paper.
• All judging is final and the winners will be notified prior to the January 25, 2020 annual dinner.
• Each winner and one guest will receive a ticket to attend the event. Additional guests are welcome to attend by purchasing a ticket.
Submit essays by Wednesday, December 20, 2019 at 5 pm – No Late Entries Will Be Accepted.
How To Submit Entry
Email (preferred method)
Send as an attachment in PDF (preferred) or Microsoft WORD format to: email@example.com
MLK Celebration Committee
885 University Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95825
Thank you to our Essay Contest Sponsors
Past Essay Contest Winners