Pictured above are the 2018 Essay Contest Winners
6th Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Essay Contest
We are pleased to announce the question for the 6th annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Essay contest. The winning essays will be announced at the annual celebration event on January 26, 2019. The essay contest was created to further engage our youth with Dr. King’s legacy, his vision, and leadership that inspired a nation. Essays will be judged on creativity, clarity, content, coherence and adherence to theme. Essays must be in your own words. The winners will receive a prize and be recognized as part of the 2019 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration event on January 26, 2019 in the University Ballroom at Sacramento State University. The essay contest is open to youth (Middle and High School students) who live in Sacramento, Yolo, Placer, El Dorado, and Sutter Counties.
The 2019 MLK Essay Contest Question
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a strong supporter of mentoring others. In the spirit of Martin Luther King, who has inspired and served as a mentor to you. What have you learned from your experience?
Prizes will be awarded in the Middle School and High School Divisions.
- 1st Place Winner – $250
- 2nd Place Winner – $150
- 3rd Place Winner – $100
Download the 2019 MLK Essay Contest Flyer
• Winners will be chosen from middle and high school categories.
• The essay must consist of no more than 300 words.
• The essay contest is open to Middle and high school entries and must be submitted on 8½” x 11” white paper, double spaced and typed using a 12pt. font.
• Only one entry per student.
• All entries must include student’s name, grade level, full school name, school district, home address and contact phone number.
• All judging is final and the winners will be notified prior to the January 26, 2019 annual dinner.
• Each winner and one guest will receive a ticket to attend the event. Additional guests are welcome to attend by purchasing a ticket.
Submit essays by Wednesday, December 21, 2018 at 5 pm – No Late Entries Will Be Accepted.
How To Submit Entry
Email (preferred method)
Send as an attachment in PDF (preferred) or Microsoft WORD format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
MLK Celebration Committee
885 University Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95825
Thank you to our Essay Contest Sponsors