Pictured above are the 2017 Essay Contest Winners. Read the winning essays.
5th Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Essay Contest
We will soon announce the question for the 5th annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Essay contest. The winning essays will be announced at the annual celebration event on February 3, 2018. The essay contest was created to further engage our youth with Dr. King’s legacy, his vision, and leadership that inspired a nation.
We invite youth from Sacramento, Yolo, Placer, El Dorado, and Sutter Counties to participate in the Essay Contest.
The 2018 MLK Essay Contest Theme
Questions to be posted later this year.
Essays will be judged on creativity, clarity, content, coherence and
adherence to theme. Essays must be in your own words.
The winners will receive a prize and be recognized as part of the 2018 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Dinner on February 3, 2018 in the University Ballroom at Sacramento State University.
• Winners will be chosen from elementary, middle and high school categories.
• The essay must consist of no more than 300 words.
• The essay contest is open to Middle and high school entries and must be submitted on 8½” x 11”
white paper, double spaced and typed using a 12pt. font.
• Only one entry per student.
• All entries must include student’s name, grade level,
school, home address and contact phone number.
• All judging is final and the winners will be notified prior to the February 4, 2017 annual dinner.
Submit essays by Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 5 pm – No Late Entries Will Be Accepted.
Email (preferred method)
Send as an attachment in Microsoft WORD format or PDF to email@example.com
MLK Celebration Committee
720 Howe Avenue, suite 104
Sacramento, CA 95825
Thank you to our Essay Contest Sponsors