2022 Essay Contest Information
We are pleased to announce the 9th annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Sacramento Regional Essay contest. This contest was created to further engage our youth with Dr. King's legacy, his vision, and his leadership that inspired a nation.
Essays will be judged on creativity, clarity, content, coherence and adherence to theme. Essays must be in your own words, plagiarism is unacceptable. The winners will receive cash prizes and be recognized as part of the 2022 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration, on February 5, 2022.
The essay contest is open to youth (Middle and High School students) who live in Sacramento, Yolo, Placer, El Dorado, or Sutter County.
The 2022 MLK Essay Contest Question
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. worked tirelessly to create positive change for the African American community and all people. His work and words proved that we are all connected and have the ability to control our own destiny.
Please choose one of the following current event topics for your essay:
More than 30 states introduced legislation that suppresses voting rights. Describe your reaction to this and tell what affect the laws might have on voting.
Describe how COVID 19 has positively or negatively impacted your education.
In June of this year, President Biden signed legislation to make Juneteenth a Federal holiday. Describe what this means to you.
High School Division - Cash Prizes
1st Place - $500 | 2nd Place - $300 | 3rd Place - $200
Middle School Division - Cash Prizes
1st Place - $250 | 2nd Place - $150 | 3rd Place - $100
• Winners will be chosen from middle and high school categories.
• The essay must consist of no more than 500 words.
• The essay contest is open to middle and high school entries and must be submitted on 8½” x 11” white background, double spaced and typed using a 12pt. font.
• Only one entry per student.
• All entries must include a cover page with the student’s first and last name, grade level, full school name, school district, home address and contact phone number.
• All judging is final and the winners will be notified by January 31, 2022.
• Each winner and one guest will receive a ticket to attend the event. Additional guests are welcome to attend by purchasing a ticket.
Submit Essays By
Monday, January 16, 2022
at 5 pm
No Late Entries Will Be Accepted.
How To Submit Entry
Send as an attachment in PDF (preferred) or Microsoft WORD format to: email@example.com
MLK Celebration Committee
885 University Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95825
Thank you to our essay contest sponsors
Bernice Bass de Martinez
With support from