10th Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Sacramento Regional Essay Contest | Sponsored by ABC10
The 2023 Essay Contest is now closed. Winners will be announced at the 2023 MLK Celebration Dinner. We appreciate your interest in the annual essay contest!
The MLK Essay Contest Is Sponsored By:
2023 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Essay Contest Information
The essay contest is now closed for the 2023 submission cycle.
We are pleased to announce the 10th annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Sacramento Regional Essay contest. The essay contest was created to further engage our youth with Dr. King's legacy, vision, and leadership that inspired a nation.
Essays will be judged on creativity, clarity, content, coherence, and adherence to the theme. Essays must be in your own words, plagiarism is unacceptable. Essays must adhere to the contest rules below and must be submitted by Friday, December 16 at 5 pm. First, second and third-place winners will receive cash prizes and be recognized as part of the 2023 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration, on Saturday, January 28, 2023, at Sacramento State University.
The essay contest is open to youth (Middle and High School students) who live in El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, Sutter, or Yolo County.
The 2023 MLK Essay Contest Question
The 2023 MLK Celebration Essay Topic
Incorporating a quote from Dr. King, describe in writing how you can get involved, take a stand, support Dr. King’s mission and vision for equality, and inspire a more equitable, inclusive, and peaceful society.
High School Division - Cash Prizes
1st Place - $500 | 2nd Place - $300 | 3rd Place - $200
Middle School Division - Cash Prizes
1st Place - $250 | 2nd Place - $150 | 3rd Place - $100
• Winners will be chosen from middle and high school categories.
• The essay must consist of no more than 500 words.
• The essay contest is open to middle and high school entries and must be submitted on 8½” x 11” white background, double spaced and typed using a 12pt. font.
• Only one entry per student and essays must be submitted by Friday, December 16 at 5pm. Late submissions will not be accepted.
• All entries MUST include a cover page with the student’s first and last name, grade level, full school name, school district, home address, email and contact phone number. Essays missing this information will be disqualified.
• All judging is final. Winners will be notified on Monday, January 2, 2023 via email and telephone. With parental/guardian permission, winners will be interviewed and showcased on ABC10.
• Each winner and one guest will receive a ticket to attend the event. Additional guests are welcome to attend by purchasing a ticket.
Submit Essays By
Friday, December 16, 2022
at 5 pm
No Late Entries Will Be Accepted.
How To Submit Entry
Send as an attachment in PDF (preferred) or Microsoft WORD format to: mlkessaycontestsac(at)gmail.com
Thank you to our MLK Essay contest sponsors
With support from
Past Essay Contest Winners
2022 MLK Essay Contest Winners
2021 MLK Essay Contest Winners
2020 MLK Essay Contest Winners
2019 MLK Essay Contest Winners
2018 MLK Essay Contest Winners
2017 MLK Essay Contest Winners