Page updated 11/2/2023
11th Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Sacramento Regional Essay Contest | Sponsored by ABC10 and The Sacramento Kings
The MLK Essay Contest Is Sponsored By:
2024 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Essay Contest Information.
We are pleased to announce the 11th annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Sacramento Regional Essay contest. The essay contest was created to further engage our youth with Dr. King's legacy, vision, and leadership that inspired a nation.
Essays will be judged on creativity, clarity, content, coherence, and adherence to the theme. Essays must be in your own words; plagiarism is unacceptable and no help from any AI source is permitted. Essays must adhere to the contest rules below and must be submitted by Friday, December 22 at 5 pm.
First, second, and third-place winners will receive cash prizes and be recognized as part of the 2024 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration on Saturday, January 27, 2024, being held at Sacramento State University. Additionally, first-place winners from both divisions will be invited to be highlighted during an upcoming Sacramento Kings game.
The essay contest is open to youth (Middle and High School students) who live in El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, Sutter, or Yolo County.
The 2024 MLK Essay Contest Question
The 2024 MLK Celebration Essay Topic
Given what Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. achieved during the 1960s Civil Rights era, the United States today is at another crossroads; what would you do to inspire equity in our country for all people?
High School Division - Cash Prizes
1st Place - $500 | 2nd Place - $300 | 3rd Place - $200
Middle School Division - Cash Prizes
1st Place - $250 | 2nd Place - $150 | 3rd Place - $100
Plus, first-place winners from both divisions will be invited to be highlighted during an upcoming Sacramento Kings game.
• Winners will be chosen from middle and high school categories.
• The essay must consist of no more than 500 words.
• All essays must be in the writer's own voice. Plagiarism is strictly prohibited, and the use of any assistance or content from AI sources is not allowed.
• The essay contest is open to middle and high school entries and must be submitted on 8½” x 11” white background, double-spaced, and typed using a 12pt. font.
• Only one entry per student and essays must be submitted by Friday, December 22 at 5pm. Late submissions will not be accepted.
• All entries MUST include a cover page with the student’s first and last name, grade level, full school name, school district, home address, email and contact phone number. Essays missing this information will be disqualified.
• All judging is final. Winners will be notified on Monday, January 12, 2024 via email and telephone. With parental/guardian permission, winners will be interviewed and showcased on ABC10.
• Each winner and one guest will receive a ticket to attend the event. Additional guests are welcome to attend by purchasing a ticket.
Any essay determined to be in violation of the essay rules will be disqualified.
Submit Essays By
Friday, December 22, 2023
at 5 pm
No Late Entries Will Be Accepted.
How To Submit Entry
Send your essay as an attachment in PDF Format to: mlkessaycontestsac(at)gmail.com
Thank you to our MLK Essay contest sponsors
With support from